Find out about the Pilates equipment & the Studio Equipment Classes

Mat based Pilates is by far the most popular form of Pilates practiced worldwide.  And, for most, it is what people expect Pilates to be. Many new clients, when the come for their initial introduction, are surprised and a little bit worried to see a range of machines and equipment in the studio and often comment on how the studio looks like it could be in Fifty Shade or Grey!!!  Matwork has its advantages, it is accessible to most, it is easier to find a teacher and class time to suit and you only have to worry about your body.  However, there is much more to Pilates that is out there to be discovered.  

 

Joseph Pilates

Joseph Pilates

Joseph Pilates began the work that we now call Pilates during the First World War.  He was, as a German living in the UK, interned on the Isle of Man and worked in a hospital for injured soldiers. He began by attaching springs to the beds of the soldiers so that they were able to work on their body conditioning even if they were not able to get out of bed.  Joe continued to invent machines, both large and small, throughout his career.  After the war Joe moved to New York and set up his studio and continued to invent new equipment; clients would come in with particular needs and he would go away and design a machine to assist them.  The most well know of Pilates’ machines is the Universal Reformer, seen in gyms and studios around the world.

 

It’s a commonly held belief that matwork is the easiest form of Pilates and when you have mastered that you move onto the studio apparatus.  This just isn’t the case.  There is beginner, intermediate and advanced exercises in the mat repertoire as well as on each piece of equipment.  Joining a studio class also gives you access to a far wider range of exercises; matwork uses only 25% of the Pilates exercises with the studio work containing the other 75%.  The use of springs and curved surfaces can both provide assistance to you as you try to master and exercise.  This can be particularly helpful when you are rehabilitating from an injury.  We can also use the equipment to ensure that you are working through a comfortable, pain free range of movement.  The equipment can also be used to add challenge to exercises by adding and taking away resistance or assistance in order to achieve specific goals. 

 

DSC_4565.jpg

Studio classes also have the added bonus of allowing you to work towards your own goals.  Studio sessions can provide efficient and effective support to your training in other sports to enabling you to improve your performance in sports such as running, swimming, racquet sports, riding etc. If you are unable to access a matwork class then studio classes offer such a wide range of exercises that you will find you are able to achieve a full body workout suitable for your needs.  And, if you have been doing matwork for a long time then using the apparatus can help to keep you interested and motivated while you are working towards your fitness goals.  When you sign up for your Studio introduction session your instructor discusses with you your health and fitness history and goals then designs a bespoke programme for you which is reviewed and adapted as you progress.

 

So why not give studio a go? You will be working on machines and equipment designed by Joseph Pilates, you can discover the whole range of Pilates exercises and movement experiences and also working towards a programme designed wholly with your needs in mind.

Written by our instructor Helen Dean.

Studio Equipment Classes run on

Mondays @ 6.30pm

Tuesdays @ 10.30am

Wednesdays @ 10am

Wednesdays @ 7pm

In order to take Studio Equipment Classes you will need to take an introduction (£80) that consists of two 1:1 sessions where we can guide you through your program and ensure you feel safe and comfortable on the studio equipment.